Author Topic: Phonetic names vs. Usernames  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Teknologist

• Administrator
  • Accomplished
    • MC Labs Org site
Phonetic names vs. Usernames
« on: September 15, 2011, 12:56:31 am »
I have had this issue before. Phonetic names that either don't match or are annoying to listen to.
I use the text to speech option to keep track of users coming and going. There are a few users who choose clever names using numbers and letters for instance. The Text to speech then says all of the characters and numbers instead of the actual name. All it takes is a few channel moves or quick reconnects to start being annoying while the TTS trys to say all of the characters over and over.
The easy fix is to use the phonetic option to make your username sound the way you meant it to.
I think a good policy should be to use a phonetic that as close as possible sounds like the name you actually display.

Am I just too easily annoyed? :-\

Offline Tshaar

• Newcomer
Re: Phonetic names vs. Usernames
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 02:46:19 am »
Am I just too easily annoyed? :-\

No, sir, you're not. It bothers me just as much and I hear the names only when someone creates a channel or gets moved to AFK by Ergo.
What really makes me mad is profanity in nicknames. We clearly ask users to behave just as they would on the AO forums, why would anyone assume nicknames don't fit under that rule?

Offline Teknologist

• Administrator
  • Accomplished
    • MC Labs Org site
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:03:21 am »
You must be referring to badmf...

Offline Tshaar

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:14:39 am »
You must be referring to badmf...