Author Topic: AO Server merge issues  (Read 6813 times)

Offline Teknologist

• Administrator
  • Accomplished
    • MC Labs Org site
AO Server merge issues
« on: November 07, 2012, 10:12:47 pm »
The AO server merge time approaches and we need to have a discussion on what our plans should be. We need to have a decision very soon.
We need to address the Org channels and alts issues. Char ID's will be new for all characters. There will be no way to determine what the previous servers char ID used to be. To sum it up, all character links for all bots (not just the AOSpeak bots) will be lost. We have no idea when and if a PoRK (People of Rubi-Ka) site will be available for the new server.
Please feel free to voice any thoughts and opinions.

Offline Teknologist

• Administrator
  • Accomplished
    • MC Labs Org site
Re: AO Server merge issues
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 05:54:07 pm »
Update:
It is looking like we will have to do an alt wipe and let everyone re-register their alts.
We will most likely have to manually create any new org channels and grant access to the org leaders manually until the PoRK Xml is ready for the new server to verify org leader status.

Offline Tyrence

• Global Moderator
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 11:59:43 am »
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to let anyone create arbitrary channels whether they be an org leader or not...

Offline Teknologist

• Administrator
  • Accomplished
    • MC Labs Org site
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 02:12:32 pm »
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to let anyone create arbitrary channels whether they be an org leader or not...
This would be too unorganized. Unless you mean temporary channels which we already allow in certain sections.

Offline Tyrence

• Global Moderator
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 03:51:11 pm »
This would be too unorganized. Unless you mean temporary channels which we already allow in certain sections.
Hmmm, what do you think would happen if you let anyone create channels?

Offline Windguaerd

• Global Moderator
  • Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:48:35 pm »
Hmmm, what do you think would happen if you let anyone create channels?

It opens the door for potential stupidity, and there are plenty of those who will take advantage when given the chance. Things have worked quite well as-is, would like to keep it that way.

As for not being able to grab CharID... well shit, we may have to go with the "register at aospeak.com to get your own org channel" or something like that, I don't know but we already have the issue with not being able to update the server software because it will break the bot, and the merge... makes the bot somewhat useless since it can't grab CharID, right?

Offline Teknologist

• Administrator
  • Accomplished
    • MC Labs Org site
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:00:30 pm »
I have to agree with Windguaerd about the temp channels.

The bot as is will work fine for new toons and to register alts as well as connecting to the AOSPEAK server. The only issue it will have is being able to determine Org leader status which is why we would have to make org channels manually for a while. Once PoRK is ready everything should work as expected.

By the way I had to downgrade my Teamspeak version to 3.0.6.1 as the 3.0.9.1 has a massive memory leak issue on Windows 8.
I will be looking into upgrading the server soon.

Offline Tyrence

• Global Moderator
  • Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 04:10:34 pm »
It opens the door for potential stupidity, and there are plenty of those who will take advantage when given the chance. Things have worked quite well as-is, would like to keep it that way.
I guess we disagree here.  The potential is higher, but in practice, "incidents" will be less.  And there are a lot of studies that support this.  And in fact a good example of this is the Reet Retreat channel.  I think that is still open to anyone?  I don't know for sure, but I haven't seen any incidents about it.  In contrast, I do recognize that it's hard to measure the success of opening that channel up and it could be a net-zero change.  Another example is the Budabot project.  Google code doesn't give me the option to allow commits from anyone, but I am very open to giving write access to the svn repo.  Of course I do monitor the commits and I can revert a commit if necessary but I have never had to revert a change due to a malicious commit that someone has made.  I believe that I never will.  But more importantly than that I haven't had any bad commits, I have had some really great commits and I can definitely see the effect that this has in the way of bugs fixed and features added.

If I was you, I would open up the whole bot, I'd let anyone create channels, and then let the owners of the channels set permissions on them if they wanted.

Given that there are about 550 people on during prime time and 250-300 otherwise [per server], there are still a lot of people that you could get on AOSpeak, and I think opening the server up would help that.