Author Topic: Separate Games Channel  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Triad

• Fledgling
Separate Games Channel
« on: October 09, 2013, 01:55:39 pm »
So, I've noticed more and more on AOSpeak that while there are plenty of people on it, a good portion may not be playing AO. This is all fine and dandy, since AO is still the main game that united us in the first place, however there are still plenty of active people who are playing AO, and I feel a separate "Other Games" channel should be made so that people playing other things can go to signify "Hey, were playing such and such, feel free to stop in and see what we are playing". This not only helps to alleviate any "other games" clutter from the org channels and the lounge(which I feel the lounge is more of a place where AO players of many different orgs and factions can chat about AO) to a channel dedicated to other games, but may also strengthen the ties between AO players by giving them a place to see what everyone else is up to. Maybe we have a bunch of League of Legends players in here but they don't have a channel to meet? Other Games. World of Warcraft? Other Games. Down for a little old school Quake? Other Games. And of course, if its something that requires focus such as league, the function is still available to create sub channels within this channel.

I feel its been needed for a long time, and i'm sure many other people would like this channel, as I believe we have people now that aren't AO players, but still come to this community. Who knows? Maybe if the teamspeak community grows, we can by default introduce new people into AO.

Offline Teknologist

• Administrator
  • Accomplished
    • MC Labs Org site
Re: Separate Games Channel
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:18:24 pm »
I like this idea. I have discussed this with others in the past. In fact some others use the backup server as a place to hang out when they are playing other games. While I am completely OK with that and with anyone from this community using the MC-Labs TeamSpeak server I think we should have a channels structure for this. Anyone who wants to stop by the MC-Labs TeamSpeak server is welcome, just let someone with a MC icon know that you are from AO if they ask. Server address: ts.mc-labs.org.
I think we can make it more of a group of channels rather than just a channel. For instance:
--------------------------------------------------
Gaming
Under that we can add a few popular games that we know are being played, such as League of Legends, World of Warcraft (I know some AO players may take offense to this one lol), Minecraft, CS:GO, and I am open to suggestions...
Any other thoughts on this?
Oh, and one more thing. I think we should remove some of the courtesy channels we set up for some of the AO related communities due to non-use. AO Universe and Gridstream for instance. Thoughts?

Offline Rikaria

• Global Moderator
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:42:12 pm »
send AO-U and GSP nasty emails saying we needs them on here :D

but i would not mind seeing seeing other game channels.

Offline Windguaerd

• Global Moderator
  • Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 10:21:50 am »
Before my AO hiatus, I would have been against the idea... however, I can now totally understand that it's not only a good one, but it may be a necessity for AOS to keep in touch with the community who loves AO but may be doing the same thing some of us are doing... waiting on FC to get their shit together.

So, I strongly support the idea.

Offline Teknologist

• Administrator
  • Accomplished
    • MC Labs Org site
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 06:31:32 pm »
Wind, any thoughts on the GSP and AO-U channels? I would love to see them used but if not I am going to remove them. They can always request them again in the future.

Offline Windguaerd

• Global Moderator
  • Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 08:59:46 am »
Remove them for now.

Offline Teknologist

• Administrator
  • Accomplished
    • MC Labs Org site
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 02:52:17 pm »
The new Gaming section and the first batch of channels has been created. I am looking for some nice icons to use for each of the new game channels.
I await additional suggestions as to which games to add channels for. I added the channels I know other AO players are playing.

I want to allow and encourage users to bring their friends into the server if they are playing together. Of course they are also welcome to use the MC-Labs TeamSpeak for that as well.

Offline Rikaria

• Global Moderator
  • Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 06:22:10 am »
ask doctorval to see if he will make you some icons, if you dont have a way to get hold of him pm me and ill give you his facebook.